Elderwise began in 1997 as a small nonprofit grassroots organization operating one day a week in the home of our director. Since then, Elderwise has moved twice, first into our own facility and more recently, in 2010, into our current home within Horizon House, a continuing care retirement community, where we operate independently as a private nonprofit. Since our inception, Elderwise has grown exponentially and we have served hundreds of frail individuals living in a wide variety of settings.
The adult day program is the heart and the center of the Elderwise programs. Responding to requests, Elderwise began taking its watercolor and discussion programs out to other facilities serving elders. In addition, as the philosophy was tested and experienced, Elderwise began teaching the Elderwise Way of Spirit-Centered Care to health care professionals.
We have become an important resource for long-term care providers who wish to enhance the care they offer to their clients or family members.
Elderwise touches others: professionals or care partners who gain knowledge through continuing education to benefit their client or their facility; those who experience our approach through our outreach programs; and participants who are enriched directly at the Elderwise Adult Day Center. When we enrich the lives of our elders and those who care for them, we enhance our broader community.
The Elderwise staff is engaged. From the seating arrangements in the morning to the escorts at the end of the day, the execution is excellent. Both the participants and their families take comfort in this professionalism.
Kurt Kippenhan, son of Elderwise participant
Elderwise staff have college degrees, value inner work and often have backgrounds in art. We offer a level of commitment to the participants, the families and the organizations that we serve that reflect our values of deep respect for all people and high quality programming.
- Jeanette Ruby: Executive Director
- Sandy Sabersky: Founding Director; Outreach Program Coordinator; Adult Day Program Facilitator; Outreach Program Facilitator
- Tamara Keefe: Adult Day Program Director; Adult Day Program Facilitator; Outreach Program Facilitator
- Annie Koziol: Director of Communications; Office Manager
- Cayce Cheairs: Adult Day Program Facilitator; Outreach Program Facilitator
- Marigrace Becker: Adult Day Program Facilitator
- Kit Johnston: Adult Day Program Facilitator
Elderwise Board of Directors
- Sara Shelton: Chair
- Cindy Anne: Vice Chair
- Denny Weidkamp: Treasurer
- Sean Fordham: Secretary
- Sandy Sabersky: Trustee
- Rebecca Crichton: Trustee
- Roma Cassel: Trustee
- Frances Parks: Trustee